Have you twitted today?
And the 2014 Emmy Nominees Are…!
The nominees for the 2014 Emmy Awards have finally been announced and we’ve compiled a list of all the black actors nominated for awards in this year’s 66th Primetime Emmys.
Out of 36 awards in five different categories (for acting only), this year black actors are present in 11 award slots accounting for a little over 30% of the nominees. “Orange Is the New Black” actress Laverne Cox has made history this year by becaming the first openly transgender person nominated for an Emmy.
- Kerry Washington as “Olivia Pope” in Scandal - Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series.
- Reg E. Cathey as “Freddy” in House of Cards - Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series.
- Joe Morton as “Rowan” in Scandal - Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series.
- Don Cheadle as “Marty Kaan” in House Of Lies - Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series.
- Andre Braugher as “Captain Ray Holt” in Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series.
- Uzo Aduba as “Suzanne ‘Crazy Eyes’ Warren” in Orange is the New Black - Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series.
- Laverne Cox as “Sophia Burset” in Orange is the New Black - Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series.
- Cicely Tyson as “Carrie Watts” in A Trip to Bountiful - Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie.
- Chiwetel Ejiofor as “Louis Lester” in Dancing on the Edge - Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie.
- Idris Elba as “John Luther” in Luther - Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie.
- Angela Bassett as “Marie Laveau” in American Horror Story: Coven - Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie.
This is beautiful :)
Ramarin Wilfred is the newest member of MENSA.
Privilege not only causes white people to miss instances of racism but it causes them to think they get to set the terms or parameters for what constitutes racism as well. For example, situations that can universally be understood as racist like a blatant hate crime, are “in bounds.” But anything that’s not as obvious is dismissed and those who attempt to shed light on less obvious forms of racism get accused of race baiting or, my personal favorite, playing the race card. This essentially means that if it’s not obviously racist to a white person then it’s not racist.
Plastic smiles and denial can only take you so far…
Queen B getting deep